Now that you have completed your Group Reservation Request and have received confirmation of your date from our staff, you’ll want to take a moment and go over the following steps to make sure your day runs smoothly!
Prior to your visit please complete each item on this check-list.
- Review the information on our website.
- Review confirmation information emailed by Heritage Sylvania Staff prior to your visit.
- Divide students into groups and assign an adult leader/chaperone to each group. The number of groups needed will be noted in the confirmation letter sent by our staff. Typically we try to keep each class as an individual group with no more than 25 students per group due to the size of the historic buildings and the interactive nature of the experience.
- Recruit adult chaperones as needed. The number of adult chaperones you use is up to you, but keep in mind that given the size of the historical buildings, we can only comfortably seat about 25 people at a time. We will make sure students are all seated. If you have a lot of adults, some of them may be asked to sit outside or in another building if there isn’t room for everyone.
- Print out copies of Student Group Chaperone Information Sheet (PDF) for your additional chaperones.
- Complete Student Group Check-in Form (PDF). If you need an invoice sent ahead of time, just let us know. We’ll happily send it to you.
- Review guidelines and goals with your students.
- Remind students what to wear for their visit. The Historical Village operates in all kinds of weather.
- Relax! We will help you have a great day!
Chaperones, thank you for helping with the visit to Heritage Sylvania! Your role as group leader is very important.
Your group will need your active participation to ensure students are acting in a respectful and safe manner and to enhance student learning during your visit. Here are a few more tips:
- You will be going in and out of buildings during the course of your day. Be sure to dress for the weather and wear comfortable shoes.
- Make sure you introduce yourself to your group of students and find out their names at the start of the day. It will be easier to keep track of them.
- You will be rotating through several stations today. At each station, Village staff will be leading an activity. Your group will have times when they sit and listen to the presenter and other times where they will be up and moving participating in an activity. Your help might be needed to assist with the activity.
- If you need to use a cell phone during the visit, please step outside of the building as to not disrupt the presentation inside.
- Make sure to stay with your group throughout the day. Do not let the students wander by themselves even to use the restroom.
- Due to the historic nature of our buildings, we can only accommodate roughly 25 people seated in the buildings at a time. In some cases, where there are quite a few adults with a group, we may need to ask some of the chaperones to sit outside or in an adjoining building during a session in order to make sure there are spaces for the students.
- Smoking is not permitted on the grounds.
- Bathrooms are located at the entrance to the Historical Village and the lower level of the Lathrop House.
- Please help us by disposing of trash and cleaning up messes following lunch.
Again, thank you for being a group leader. Together we can bring history to life for the students.