After a two year absence, Celebration of Freedom returns to the Lathrop House on Saturday, August 6. Join us from 12:00 – 3:00 PM as we celebrate the past at the only Underground Railroad site in Northwest Ohio open to the public.
Highlights this year include a free outdoor concert by jazz singer Ramona Collins starting at 2:00. Ms. Collins will sing a variety of songs that express the African American experience through the years.
Other activities include free tours of the Lathrop House, historic reenactments by the 5th USCTco. C. and others. Koral Hamburg Food Truck will also be on hand.
Full schedule for the afternoon:
- 12:00 – Welcome
- Historic Presentation – Lucian Lathrop, station master Lathrop House
- Presentation of the Colors – 5th USCT co.C
- A Brief History of the 5th USCT
- 12:30 to 3 – Free Tours of the Lathrop House. Sign up for tour times at the information table that day
- 12:00 to 2:00 – 5th USCT co.C members encamped front of Lathrop House engaging with visitors
- 12:00 to 2:00 – Learn more about the lives of Free Women of Color during the Civil War
- 12:00 to 2:00 – Koral Hamburger Food Truck
- 1:30 – Historic Presentation – John Mercer Langston, abolitionist, attorney, activist and diplomat
- 2:00 -3:00. Ramona Collins in concert
The Lathrop House is located on Main Street in Harroun Park (Directly across the street from St. Joseph’s Catholic Church)
Bring a chair or blanket and prepare to be inspired!